Ph.D. / M.Phil. Programme : 7 years / 15 years
Post Graduation : 20 years
Graduation : 30 years
Diploma/Certificate: 12 years
Area of Research:
Special Education, Inclusive Education, Minority Education
Research Projects undertaken:
Publications:1. Giri, C. K., and Gowramma, I. P. (2021). Achievement of Class-V Students in Different Mathematical Skills/Abilities. Proceedings of the International online conference on “Researches in 21st century – Global perspectives” on 18th May 2021 by College of education, Barshi, Sholapur, Maharashtra. (ISSN 2231-2137): SPECIAL ISSUE : MAY, 2021, 127-133
Seminars / Conferences / Symposium / Workshop:
National and Regional
1. 1998 Developed the following two modules (units 9 and 10) on Learning Disabilities for a Certificate Course on Management of Learning Disabilities, Conducted by Indian Portage Association, Chandigarh.
(a) Development of Mathematical Concepts
(b) Learning Disabilities in Mathematics – Theory and Practice
2. 1999 One of the authors for the “Source Book on Learning Disability”, SCERT, Trivandrum, February.
3. 1998 Serving as a resource person for the in-service teacher-training program of DIETs of Mandya, Mysore and Madikeri districts on Integrated Education of the Disabled.
4. 2004 Contributed for the module on Multiple Handicap and Other Disabilities for the “Post-Graduate Diploma in Disability Management”, for the Diploma Course for Medical Graduates, conducted by MAHE, Manipal.
5. 2006 Wrote a module on Learning Disability for certificate course for caregivers of children with Developmental Communication Disabilities, Conducted by AIISH, Mysore.
6. 2004 – 2012 One of the members in the syllabus development / revision workshops / material preparation/ vetting / translation ofself learning materials of certificate course, D Ed, B Ed and M Ed Special Education courses of AIISH Mysore, ISH, Bangalore, CBR network Bangalore, SRMVU Coimbatore, RCI New Delhi, School of Education, and NCDS, IGNOU New Delhi, NIOS New Delhi. 2004 – 2012
7. 2012 as a sole author for a block (5 Units) on ‘Mainstreaming and Inclusion’ for the M Ed ( DE - SE) programme of the NCDS, IGNOU
8. 2010 Contributed as one of the two authors for a block (4 Units) on ‘Curriculum and Teaching Methods in Education of Children with Hearing Impairment’ for the M Ed (DE - SE) programme of the NCDS, IGNOU
9. 2012 Contributed as a sole author for the Practicum Manual on ‘Readings in Disability’ for the M Ed (DE - SE) programme of the NCDS, IGNOU
10. 2012 Contributed as a sole author for the Practicum Manual on ‘Case Study of a Child with Disability Having an Associated Condition’ for the M Ed (DE - SE) programme of the NCDS, IGNOU
11. 2010 Contributed as a sole author for a block (4 Units) on ‘Overview of Education of the Deaf: History & Present Status’ for the B Ed ( DE - SE) programme of the NCDS, IGNOU
12. 2013 Wrote Unit 1 on Understanding Hearing Impairment for the Certificate course in Inclusive Education by School of Education, IGNOU.
13. 2009 For the Diploma in Elementary Education (D El Ed) course of NIOS, wrote unit 7 - Introduction to Inclusive Education for block 3 on Inclusive Education.
14. 2009 Wrote a unit on Introduction to Guidance and Counseling for the module to train high school teachers in Guidance and Counseling through teleconference by DSERT, Karnataka
15. 2012 Contributed two chapters as sole author, one on ‘Overcoming Challenges and Constraints in Implementing Inclusive Education’ and another on ‘Managing children with ADHD ADD AND AUTISM in an inclusive set up’ and worked as co-editor for the book on ‘Inclusive Education – What, Why and How?’ published by Vani publishers, Mysore, in 2012 (RIE Mysore)
16. 2008 Contributed four articles to the Subject Encyclopedia of Education brought out by KSOU, Mysore on – Management of children with cerebral palsy, management of children with epilepsy, vocational education to challenged children and behavioral therapy for challenged children
17. 2015 Contributed as an author for the training of key resource persons of WB on Inclusive education for the socially disadvantaged
18. 2015 Contributed one module for elementary teacher educators of WB on modalities of transaction of –childhood and growing up
19. 2016 Prepared a module on Inclusive education for students with disabilities in secondary level – for RMSA, Odisha
20. 2016 Consultant for SCERT Guwahati to transadapt class I –IV text books of Assam for children with different disabilities
21. 2017 Authored for a Research methodology course for educational functionaries of north eastern region on a module on tools for qualitative data collection
22. Development of 3 years integrated Msc. M.Ed curriculum of RIE, Bhubaneswar (Life science) (15-16, Dec January, 2016)-Resource Person
23. Development of B.Ed M.Ed. Syllabus of RIE, Utkal University, Bhubaneswar ( 24-26 sept, 2016 and 26-30 Dec, 2016)-Resource Person
24. Development of D.El.Ed Curriculum for the state of Jharkhand (12-16, Nov, 2016)- Resource Person
25. Development of 3 year integrated B.Ed .M.Ed curriculum of RIE, Bhubaneswar (24-26 Sept, 2017)-Resource Person
26. Development of D.El.Ed curriculum for the state of Jharkhand (11-13 March, 2019)-Resource Person
27. Developed a training module on inclusive education for secondary school Teachers-Odisha MadhyamikShiksha Mission, (2016)- Resource Person/Author
28. Development of Curriculum for Pre-service teacher education program at the secondary level of Jharkhand (2016-17)- Coordinator
29. Development of tools for research on functioning of Library at Govt schools (30-31 Aug, 2016)
30. Development of tools for a study of pedagogic practices in Diploma in elementary education programme of DIETs of Odisha (23 Aug, 2016)
31. Participated in the workshop on development of Framework for Institute Repository at RIE, Bhubaneswar (28th June, 2019).
32. Development of Policy framework of Institute repository for the Library (28thJune 2019)- Resource Person/Author
33. Module on School Internship- Resource Person/Author
34. Development, review and edit for Diploma program in Science education (DPSE) – (10-14 Feb, 2020)- Resource Person/Author
35. Participated in the workshop for development of Rubric for Social Sciences Assessment for Inclusive Schools by Central University of Kerala (16th to 18th Sept, 2020).
VIII Membership and activities in professional associations
Dr. Gowramma I. P., Professor in RIE Bhubaneswar has been awarded the Fulbright-Nehru Academic and Professional Excellence Fellowships for the year 2022-23
About the Fellowship
The Fulbright Program is the most widely recognized and prestigious scholarships offered by the US Govt Named after Senator William Fulbright, the inception of the scholarship dates back to 1946 when the US Govt proposed a bill to use the proceedings from selling surplus war property (from the second world war) to fund international exchanges between the US and other countries.
The bill was later turned into a law by the then US President Harry S Truman. In 1950 Jawaharlal Nehru and US Ambassador to India Loy Henderson singed the “Agreement between the Govt of India and the Govt of the USA for Financing Certain Educational Exchange Programs which established the United States Educational Foundation in India (USFEI).
In 2008 an agreement was signed between the two Governments to Fund the Fulbright program as equal partners and the USFEI was renamed the United States-India Educational Foundation (USIEF) and its core program became known as the Fulbright-Nehru Fellowships. Today India boasts of the largest Fulbright Scholarships in the world and one of the largest exchanges worldwide.
In the past, 40 Fulbright Alumni have served as heads of state, 61 from 14 countries have been awarded the Nobel Prize and 89 have won Pulitzer Prizes. Over 20,000 Indian Citizens have been part of the program over the last 72 years.
The Fulbright-Nehru Academic and Professional Excellence Fellowship is one of many Fellowships offered under the Fulbright-Nehru program. It aims to provide Indian faculty, researchers and professionals the opportunity to teach, conduct research, or carry out a combination of teaching and research at a US institution. Depending on the host institution, it is likely that the grantee may contribute towards developing curriculum and conducting workshops and seminars.
About the project
Prof Gowramma’sproject on “Preparation of Culturally Responsive Curriculum Model for Early Childhood Education to Enhance Literacy Readiness Skills” will document sociocultural practices adopted in early childhood and study their influence on literacy readiness. Furthermore, it will help inform literacy initiatives in local language and English, in India, highlighting what practices in early childhood education are beneficial. Regional Institute of Education (RIE) Bhubaneswar, being one of the five constituent units of an apex body in the country for school education, the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT), caters to the eastern region of India. The results of this study will have a vast application and outreach around this region and in India through the NCERT. Her projectintends to develop a curriculum guide to integrate sociocultural practices to target oral language and literacy. This development will directly contribute to later year literacy development while incorporating the rich sociocultural practices. It will have a wide application in multilingual communities around India to foster literacy and early language acquisition while celebrating the vast cultural and linguistic diversity.
Her host institute, the Florida Center for Reading Research (FCRR) in Florida State University, is the leader of literacy in the U. S. The research in literacy and multilingual communities by the FCRR will serve as a guide for this project. FCRR faculty will guide the project with the necessary research design and methods to evaluate these vast sociocultural practices. This project, in turn, will help the growing diversity in the U. S. and Indian schools in addressing issues related to literacy acquisition in multilingual populations that are growing. The collaboration with FCRR will help integrate the culturally relevant practices into literacy acquisition and provide a direction for India and US literacy initiatives.
During her Fellowship tenure starting from October 2022, she will be staying in Seminole Trials Apartments, 123 White Drive Unit S-01, Tallahassee, Fl. 32304 and work in Florida Centre for Reading Research.