Dr. (Mrs) Pushap Lata Negi
HEAD OF LIBRARY
The Library is located centrally in the Institute main building comprising of one Stack room, Reading halls, Reference Section, Periodical Section, Technical Section, Circulation Counter, Browsing room (Computers) and Reprography room etc. It is easily accessible from all the departments. The Library functions from 9 A.M. to 7.30 P.M. on every working day and from 9.30 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. Library Established in the year- 1963.
The library is fully automated using KOHA open source library automation software. The Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC) is provided for easy searching and retrieval of library documents. In-house publications of the Institute is being digitalised and uploaded in the Institutional Repository for online and easy access of users. The Library is equipped with the software and hardware (JAWS Talking Screen Reader for the blind, Zoom Text Screen Magnifier/ reader for partial blind and Clear Reader + Basic Text Reading machine) to enable the use of library by visually/ partial visual impaired students.
Library Collection :
It has a collection of more than 85,000 documents on the various disciplines. The main collection is in the field of Education, School Education, Teacher Education, Science Education, Social Science Education and Language Education. The collection of Library comprises of Books, Encyclopaedias, Dictionaries, Atlases, Maps, Back Volumes of Journals, Annual Reports, Yearbooks, Conference proceedings, Educational Surveys and Reports, M.Ed. dissertations, Ph.D. Thesis and NCERT publications. The library is subscribing to several national and international journals both print and online. It also provides access to important e-resources through N-LIST platform.
- Number of Books- 82,000
- Back Volumes of Journals-3000
- No. of Current journals -100
- New additions per year – 550 (average)
All students, faculty members and employees of the Institute are eligible for membership of the library. The registered members are issued Borrower card/ Ticket corresponding to their entitlement in terms of the number of books that can be borrowed by them. The category of members is as follows:
- Faculty members
- Research scholars
- DMS Teaching staff
- Non-teaching staff of Institute and DMS
The Library provides following Services.
- Open Access System
- Book lending service
- Reference Services
- Current content service (Journal and magazines)
- CAS and SDI Services
- Reprographic Services
- Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC)
- Database Service
- Newspaper Clippings on education and related topics
- Digital Library service
- Extension Services (Library Website, Mobile apps,)
- Information to the users.
- Access to e-Resources through N-LIST
- Library Orientation Service
- Resource sharing
Rules and Regulations:
- The Institute library may be used by the following categories of members. a) Registered members of the library (Students and Staff) b) Persons doing research or working for a project under the guidance of any member of the teaching staff of the Institute.
- NB: Period of loan may be restricted to 7 days in case of special types of books such as rare and valuable books and bound journals.
- Loan Privileges and period of loan from the Institute Library are according to the category of student and staff.
- Reference books such as Dictionaries, Encyclopaedias, Yearbooks, Almanacs, Handbooks etc. and also those books, which are marked ‘Reserved’ are not to be lent out.
- Periodicals in general are not to be lent out and newspapers are not to be removed from their respective places.
- Reference books taken against identity cards for reading in the library are to be returned on the same day.
- Books borrowed from the library must not be lent to others.
- The loss of library cards should be reported to the Librarian immediately. A fine of rupees twenty will be realised per card if the user loses the library card issued to them. If any book is found issued on the lost card, double the price of the book is to be paid by the user.
- Books or other reading-materials issued from the Library can be called back by the Librarian before the due date. The Librarian is authorised to issue a letter to any borrower if he/she fails to return books on due dates.
- Books must be returned within the period of loan specified in Clause 2. The loan privileges are liable to be suspended if the borrower repeatedly fails to return the books in time.
- For the re-issue of any book, the borrower must bring the book to the Library. Re-issue of a book can be done only when there is no demand for it.
- A book, which is on loan, can be reserved for a member by filling in the Reservation slip. The requisitioned book will be kept for him/her for three days. If it is not taken within three days, the reservation will stand cancelled.
- No tracing or mechanical reproduction from a book of the Library shall be made without the permission of the Librarian in writing.
- Borrowers must satisfy themselves about the physical condition of book before borrowing.
- If any borrower keeps a library book in his/her possession for more than the time allowed for the purpose, a fine will be charged at the rate of 0.50 paise per day per book for the first 7 days after due date and 1.00 Rupee per day per book thereafter. The holiday(s) intervening between the period will not be counted.
- In case of the loss of book, the borrower may replace the book by a new copy within due date of return without fine. But if they do not replace the book, the cost of the book plus 25% penalty will be recovered from them.
- Readers are not allowed to bring their personal books or any printed materials and other personal belongings like bags, umbrellas etc. inside the library. These materials are to be kept at the janitors counter at their own risk.
- All books and other materials issued from the library should be got checked at the counter before it is taken out of the Library.
- Readers should not write in, mark or otherwise disfigure/damage books, furniture’s etc.
- Readers should observe strict silence and switch off their mobile phones etc. inside the library.
- If the user is found to possess a book of the library without getting it issued, disciplinary action to the extent of expulsion from the Institute will be taken against them.
- The clearance certificate will be issued to a member on return of the books/borrowers ticket loaned to them.